Thursday, March 31, 2011

Thoughts and Such

Being a mom the second time around is definitely different.  I'm way more relaxed with Lia than I was with Micah.  Ah, but I do still have those moments of utter confusion, stress, and basket-dropping, so don't think it's magical or anything.  One thing that does strike me is how much I've forgotten already.  I was watching you tube videos with the kids recently (thank you apple tv) and I couldn't believe how little Micah was.  How his tiny feet fit into his little sandals.  How he waddled when he walked. 

This knowledge makes me desperate to notice and remember each little moment of Lia's babyhood.  I know I'll forget again, but this time I'm oh-so aware of how fleeting these moments are.  How it's my last time (99.9% sure of this) with a baby to care for.  To carry on my hip.  To snuggle with in the wee early morning hours.  To rock to sleep. To hear first words like cheese, cookie, and yummy.  To teach.  To learn from. 

It also makes me take notice of my Big Boy even more. Soon he'll be off to kindergarten (okay, I still have 1.5 years), and then he'll be a surly boy, and then in college.  I know it.  So, I remember to take the time to have a light saber duel.  To scoop him up as he runs towards me after school.  To grab his hand and tell him how proud I am of him.  To watch him try new things, and try again.  To encourage.  To teach.  To learn from. 

Some days, being a mom is exhausting and I'm quite sure that I suck at it.  Other days, I feel like I'm doing okay and remember how truly lucky I am to have two wonderful children to fill my life with amazement. 




Playing at the zoo.
"Working" at the zoo. 
 
They should really hire this kid.
And, I have no idea...

4 comments:

  1. I was struck smack in the face one day this week with what you're writing about here, how fleeting childhood is. I immediately sat down and spent an hour working puzzles with Abe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precious moments that go by all too quickly. Malachi is turning 4 next week, so this post articulates so much of what has been sifting through my thoughts of late. Just the other day my husband said, "Remember when he used to say 'baby' all the time?" I was crushed. "No, I do not. He said that a lot when he was little?"

    ReplyDelete