Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Watching Kids

So last night I agreed to watch our friends' children for about an hour - they are ages 9, 7, 2 1/2, 11 months - no big deal - right? I've done this before, but let me just say that last night was hilarious. The 2 1/2 year old (nickname George) is getting close to potty-training and he told me he wanted to sit on the potty. He had already pottied on the potty once when I first got there, but I figured I should let him try. So, there he is totally naked sitting on the potty when the 7 year old (nickname Mitch's Sister) hears her dad's car pull up and runs out of the bathroom (we were all in there) yelling, "Dad's home!" So, George jumps off the potty and runs to the front door with me yelling, "No - we have to put your diaper on!"... but I couldn't follow him b/c the 11 month old (nickname Chuck) was in the bathroom, in the process of pulling up on the potty (!!!) so I grabbed him and ran to the door to see George running out to his dad & Kevin, NAKED on the porch!! Here I come behind him with Chuck in one hand and a diaper in the other... too late!

I felt so bad about letting George run out the front door, and without clothes on at that, that I joked to the 9 year old (nickname Mitch), "Maybe I'm not ready for two little ones." Mitch looked at me point blank and said, "Oh yes, you are." I love these kids! (And, I felt a lot better when his mom told me today that it isn't the first time this has transpired - so I guess I'll be okay with two after all :)

Just for fun, here are some photos that George & Mitch's Sister took with our camera. I think they show some artistic genius :)


2 comments:

  1. Is that you behind the stripes? did you get yr hair cut??

    ReplyDelete
  2. That story sounds so familiar! I was babysitting (I was maybe 15 or 16) and I sent the two boys, ages 3 & 5) to their room to get into PJs while I changed the baby's diaper. The next thing I know, I hear my preacher's booming voice (the Sunday School class had been out for a party) asking one of the boys why he was running down the hall naked!! I was mortified! What is it about kids wanting to "run free?"

    ReplyDelete