Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Mom & Micah Read Books

First - thank you all so much for the feedback on my last post. I really appreciate all the nice things that were said - although I don't really believe Meg when she said she would read if I were counting ceiling tiles, still nice to hear.

So, I've actually been meaning to post about a certain book for a while now, so I figured I would include it in some book reviews by Micah and I...

The first book is from ashes to africa by Josh & Amy Bottomly...

Mom: So, I know a lot of you have read this book, but if you still haven't - please go order it. You will love it. The thing I loved about this book is it's honesty. Josh & Amy hold nothing back and that is quite refreshing. It is very difficult to be honest with even friends and family about issues with marriage, and definitely with infertility. The Bottomly's courageously share their struggles, and ultimately their triumphs in a true and honest fashion. I loved reading this book. I would also like to add that this book would be a WONDERFUL thing to pass along to family members if you are struggling with infertility and considering adoption. I remember how hard it was to put into words the dark time of "trying." I really could not figure out a way to make my family understand. I feel that this book could be a great conversation starter between family members - and it can help family that may be resistant to adoption start to understand.

Micah: I like this book because it has pictures of my bud Silas. I also really like the colors on the front.


Next, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins..

Mom: I read this book in 24 hours. I had a lot of people recommend it, but I read the synopsis and thought I would hate it. (Not to mention the cover - it looks like a Tom Clancy novel to me.) Anyway, I picked it up one day and LOVED it. It is listed under Young Adult fiction, but I could give this to my Dad and he would like it. I've lent it to friends - both men and women who are NOT young adults and they all liked it. I'm not going to tell you much about it - because you just have to trust me on this one. It's good.

Micah: Boring. But, it does make a loud sound when you throw it.

And finally, My Little Miracle...

Mom: I bought this before Micah came home. I love it. It's beautiful. Our copy is tattered and has duct tape and is basically falling apart, but I love it so much.

Micah: This is one of my favs. Mom used to read it to me all the time when I was a baby and it always helped calm me. She told me she got it for me because I am her little miracle. She also memorized it so lots of times she will just recite it to me as I'm falling asleep. My favorite page has a moon on it.

There you have it. I'm currently re-reading Jane Eyre, but am always open to suggestions for another great book.

PS - For you Twilight fans out there - go here and see my debut as a jr. league superhero. (I know - I need help :) And, read the rest of that blog too - very funny stuff. (And see - the non-Twilight fans don't even have to go there! But, really, you're missing out.)

7 comments:

  1. Okay, I'm gonna be honest here: I liked Micah's reviews better than Mom's. Micah was more "shoot from the hip" full in-your-face honest. I like that.
    And to be clear, I would seriously read about you counting ceiling tiles, because you are an amazing author and would MAKE that interesting through your word choice and humor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny reviews. Keep this up. Certain books do sound better than others when thrown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love this post! And think you and Micah deserve your own He Said, She Said national book review column. Now, based on your very persuasive review of the Bottomlys' book, I am going to cut this comment short and go order it pronto. You keep on rocking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just ordered From Ashes to Africa. I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the book reviews! I am always looking for a good book. I am going to go order The Hunger Games right now. Let me know if you read anything else good! I have not had a good read since the Twilight Series...actually I loved From Ashes to Africa but I am in need of some long reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just finished (and started) Hunger Games yesterday! I too loved it and was thoughoroughly entertained...we have similar taste in lots o' things...we must be friends or something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is absolutely hilarious! Got to get that tom clancy book.

    ReplyDelete