Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Lake

We just got home from a fun weekend at our lake. Yes, I call it "our" lake. Okay, other people use it too, but for some reason, I always call it ours. Anyway, we went down with my Dad & Stepmom for Micah's first lake trip. I have been going since I was a baby myself, so I was excited to take my own child there. (Actually, my Grandpa used to take my Dad there when he was young, so it's kind of a family tradition.)

Our lake house is in the middle of nowhere, Arkansas. Seriously - everyone knows each other and there is one tiny restaurant (tiny tiny) and one tiny store. You have to drive an hour to get to a Wal-Mart (which I think is awesome because I don't go to Wal-Mart anyway). It is truly the boonies and we love it that way. Here is our lake house...

Isnt' it cute? Anyway, the lake, as I said, is a family tradition. Here is a picture of my nephew during his first trip to our lake (all the way from the Pacific NW!)...

Isn't he cute? He is 9 years old now. Here is Micah's first trip to the lake - and his first boat ride!

This is his first time "helping" Papa drive the boat. This is a big deal in our family. As kids we always sat on my Dad's lap and drove the boat, so it has been tradition for the grandkids to do the same. I was actually pretty emotional about this moment.

We had a lot of fun with Micah at our lake. We were a little bummed because the water was so high due to the flooding (there were trees under our dock and trees mean snakes, so no swimming off the dock for me this time!) but we still had a lot of fun. Here are some more pictures...

Yes, Micah is playing on a mattress in the middle of the floor in this pic. There is not usually a mattress in the middle of the floor, but they had brought it to put in one of the rooms and he had loved it so much they left it on the floor for him to play. Nice Gparents!

Micah, Papa & Grandma K

We filled a little boat with water for Micah to play in on the dock. Our goal was to keep him from trying to jump in the water. (He didn't spend much time at the dock - it made us all very nervous because he is a busy little man and wants to run everywhere!)

Family photo - we usually take these at sunset (another tradition), but someone had to get to bed.

Micah LOVES driving the boat on Papa's lap. (Granted, we were only going about 2 miles an hour and were in our own cove, but he still loved it :)

We had a great time, but I think we'll wait until next summer when Micah is older and can enjoy the lake more to go back (and the water level will hopefully be down by then). Next summer we'll have him up on skis! Okay, maybe not next summer, but as soon as he's ready!

16 comments:

  1. Great pics! I especially love that last one driving the boat.
    Kerri and Ruby
    PS - I so love that you're not a walmart fan. It just warms my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uuugh, I want to go! Jealousy jealousy...it is in my heart. :)
    I love all of the traditions- Eric's family has so many traditions and I am excited to start them with Mal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a fabulous time - and I woulda been teary too of course with seein' Micah helpin' Grandpa drive the boat. Cool. Its those moments that mean so much!

    Welcome home; and, ditto on the walmart sentiments plus, yes, I want to go there, too! does the fam rent the place out? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you guys had lots of fun! The pictures are great! I love the one of him driving the boat. He is a really cute face. I just came across your blog and have really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like so much fun! Don't you just love the lake. I wish we had a lake house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun time. When my dad was single he owned a boat and I know he and my mom went out to the lake lots with friends. He sold it before they were married, so we kids never were able to enjoy that part of the summer on the lake. I think that would have been so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks fabulous! A lakehouse in the middle of nothing? Who wouldn't love that? I think I would have teared up at the steering the boat tradition, too. So precious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We got to vacation with my family this year,too; and I, also, was teary-eyed thinking that we had just sent our dossier off to ETH on our way to vacation last year and didn't know what precious baby was going to be in our arms this year. Plus, just seeing my parents love on him and taking him to the beach for the first time... It's amazing, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for the comment! i see you are adopting again. it will be fun to follow your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  10. lake=fun

    I love that last picture of Micah! He is too precious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks like you guys had a ton of fun!!!

    Thats so funny you don't shop at Walmart... My husband is from Missouri and his family is obsessed with Walmart which drives me crazy so I tell people Walmart must be a Missouri thing... I guess you prove my theroy wrong!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm wondering if this lake is the same one my aunt and uncle have a cabin on. They live in Memphis but have a cabin in Arkansas they call "The Arkansas Peabody" and it looks just like this one belonging to your family. It's a wonderful place.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww...such fun pics!!!

    I cant wait to come home and get back to real life...I am slowly coming back to full sanity....and it feels great to enter the real world again

    We miss you guys and I have been thinking a lot about Playgroups with a cause while I am down here....cant wait to see you soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH I LOVE the picture of him driving the boat!! What an expression!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I loved all of the photos. The one of your nephew made me laugh-I'm sure he appreciates his baby picture being posted. haha :)
    Adorable.

    It looks like Micah had a great time.

    ReplyDelete