Sunday, June 10, 2007

No News is No News

I wish I had something exciting to report, but I don't. Nada. Nien. (I don't know what Nien really means, but I like the sound of it.) The only thing is that I have heard it through the grapevine that we are getting closer and that Tsegay is busy looking for child(ren) for referrals. So, hopefully we will have some good news soon. In the meantime, I'm going to ramble on about nothing...

I've read on other blogs that the waiting after you see the referral picture is the hardest, so I'm trying to prepare for that, but I am just so excited to see the picture, learn the name (and gender!) of our child. I have had two referral dreams (about 2 weeks ago) - once it was a boy and I remember opening his paperwork and reading his name, which was something crazy like Deejkbwod (? I know that is not Amharic). The other was a girl and I just remember Erin (our social worker) and Sharon (our program director) telling us it was a girl.

Back to reality... last night we were surrounded by some of our favorite kids. Last summer, three of my friends who live close by had babies- all within about a month of each other. Last night we celebrated their first birthdays. The cutest part of the night was lining up three highchairs and putting their cutie personalized cakes in front of them (handmade by one of the moms - Lynn). We all sang Happy Birthday and they just smiled and looked all around. The two boys dug into their cakes but the girl was not interested. (This could be due to the fact that her dad had just given her a cupcake - unaware of the personalized flower cake that was on it's way... you think?) We had a great time - those kids are great. We had 6 couples with 13 kids - I can't wait to add to the number of kids! :) Not to mention that the oldest girl is so excited about our baby that she asks constantly about it - "Do you know what your baby looks like yet?" "When will you know?" "Is it a girl or a boy?" "When will you know?" I love that she's so excited about it. Especially since she'll be babysitting in about 5-6 years (she doesn't know that yet, but we have plans in 5-6 years :)

We also did a book exchange with all the little ones there last night and they included our little one in it too. We are the proud new owners of a book all about baby animals. Perfect for me! :)

So, next weekend I'm off to the Pacific NW to visit my sister and fulfill some of my MOH duties. (That's Matron of Honor in wedding lingo - ick - I'm going back to Maid of Honor - I am not matronly yet!) We're going shopping for a dress for me and to her first fitting and I get to meet some of her friends. The best part - I get to see my nephews. I haven't seen them since last summer. Here they are at the lake with their fish... (no, that's not bait - that's the fish they caught :)

1 comment:

  1. I had to laugh about the referral dreams - I have had one already too and we are so far away from that! I forget what the name of our child was, but it was something really funny and it was a boy. :)
    Sounds like everything is in line for you guys...thinking of ya.

    ReplyDelete