Friday, June 22, 2007

First Seeing Yabsira!

I have realized that it will be very difficult to try to explain the moment of first seeing our son's picture, but I'll try my best. (And, sorry, this is long!)

We had a 9:15 appointment at Children's Hope, and of course, we woke up early. We went out for coffee to pass some time and arrived at CHI at 9:14 a.m. We were greeted by the agency’s executive director, who we have met before, and he seemed just as excited as we were (well, if that’s possible : ). Our social worker, Erin, and our program director, Sharon, then came out to greet us with hugs and led us back into an office.

We were also greeted by what seemed to be the entire staff of CHI – I don’t know if they get this excited about every referral, or if it was just because we were the first for Ethiopia, but it was a lot of fun to have so many people sharing in our happiness. I have to admit – I pretty much forgot they were there as soon as I sat down. Erin and Sharon were sitting across from us and I had to grab onto Kevin’s arm to keep me calm – I was so excited to see our child! Erin handed us a folder and told us Congratulations – You have a baby boy! (or something like that). I couldn’t believe it! Then I read his name, which I have seen before (Mekdes’ little brother in There is No Me Without You, I think) and I love it. Sharon then explained what it meant (The work of God the Father) and we both gasped- it was so perfect.

We then learned some information about him, which I will keep private for him. But, I will say it was all very moving. I think I would have broken down sobbing if it weren’t for the adrenaline and excitement running through me. (I’m actually still surprised I didn’t really cry – I guess I got it all out the day before at the airport : ) The rest of the staff left us alone and Sharon said a prayer over our son – it was amazing and beautiful – it felt like she was speaking the words from my heart – it is a moment I will never forget. (You see how this is hard to explain in words?)

After that we got in the car (in a daze), called all of our family and drove to our friends’ house to show them Yabsira’s picture. I showed it to George, who is 2 ½ and he said, “Awww, Baby.” That did make me cry!

I wish I could show you his picture, but instead I have a picture of some of the gifts we received. The balloons, the cute little puppy and the binkies are from Erin and Sharon, and the flowers on the left are from Papa & Grandpa K and Uncle Ryan. The flowers on the right are from Kevin to me – which I just love! He is the best husband – he is going to be a wonderful dad!!



3 comments:

  1. Oh Stacie - your emotion and excitement definately comes through. What an incredible blessing little Yabsira is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacie-
    What a wonderful story you will have to tell your son :)
    I found that I really didn't cry (except for a brief bit of sobbing when I told Ryan we got the call) about Nora & her story until a day or so later-I think I was just too shocked and shaking too hard!
    Congratulations again, Mama!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again, tears....very very sweet. Sounds like a perfect moment!

    ReplyDelete